Part #3: How does the information literacy class work at Ottawa University?
At Ottawa University Information Literacy is integrated into the Orientation to the Academy and the Writing in the Disciplines courses for freshmen and transfers.
- How is information literacy being taught in colleges and universities?
- What is the library’s information literacy agenda?
- Do other colleges and university teach their faculty about information literacy?
Part #3 Readings
American College and Research Libraries. (2015). Information Literacy for Faculty and Administrators. Retrieved from http://www.ala.org/acrl/issues/infolit/overview/faculty/faculty
Santa Clara University. (2015).Orradre Library: Information Literacy Faculty Workshop Materials. Retrieved from http://www.scu.edu/docs/SCU/Library/Orradre/services/reference/is/infolit/homepage.html
University of Notradame. (2015). Hesburgh Libraries: Faculty Toolkit for Teaching Information Literacy. Retrieved from https://guides.library.nd.edu/subject-guide/123-Faculty-Toolkit-for-Teaching-Information-Literacy?tab=1645
University of Texas. (2015). Information Literacy Toolkit. Retrieved from http://www.lib.utexas.edu/signaturecourses
- What formats are used in the class?
- What is blended learning? How is it different from a completely online class?
- How is the completely online information literacy 8 week course designed?
- Are there differences between the face-to-face and the online course?
Part #3 Readings
Holiday, W; Dance, B; Davis, E; Hedrith, A; Lundstrom & Martin, P. Information Literacy a snapshot: Authentic Assessment across the curriculum. College and Research Libraries, 76(5): 1-39. Retrieved from http://crl.acrl.org/content/early/2014/03/31/crl14-575.full.pdf+html
Johnston, N. (2010, September). Is an online learning module an effective way to develop information literacy skills. Australian academic and research libraries, 41(3), 207-218. Retrieved from http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/00048623.2010.10721464
McCue, R. (2014, March 2). Does a blended learning, flipped classroom approach help information literacy students in the long term adoption of research skills? Retrieved from http://www.llrx.com/features/blendedlearning.htm
- Go to the Library website on the Ottawa University Portal. Find the Research and Writing Guides. Locate the LAS 12535 that includes examples of the student projects for the BE and Digital Portfolio.
Discussion and Reflection
The LAS 13525 Information Literacy class syllabus is located on the LAS 13525 Libguide Page
- What is covered in the Gangwish Library’s Information Literacy Instruction program?
- Review the Gangwish Library’s student outcomes in the syllabus.
- How does the class work? What topics are explored in the class?
- How can the syllabus be improved in your opinion to improve this class?