The principle objective of the parking regulations is to provide students with the opportunity to maintain a motor vehicle while attending Ottawa University. Ottawa University also wants to assure its students, employees, and guests have appropriate places to park, and that access for emergency vehicles and equipment is maintained at all times.
Students may drive their vehicles to campus. Ample, free parking is available across the University parking lots. Handicapped accessible parking is available near campus buildings and residence halls. All automobiles and motorcycles driven by students, faculty and staff must be registered. Registrations must be renewed ANNUALLY with the Facilities Department.
All permits must be displayed on the outside back driver’s side window. If your permit is damaged, please obtain a replacement permit, free of charge, from the Office of Student Affairs. It is not acceptable to place your permit in any other location other than on the outside back driver’s side window. Please do not tape it to the inside of the window.
Students (as well as faculty and staff) may park in any available parking space on campus, except:
- The Chancellor's Parking spot
- The President’s Parking spot
- Areas designated as “No Parking” areas;
- Spaces reserved for Visitors only;
- Spaces designated as Handicapped Parking (unless the vehicle has the proper authorization to park in those spaces);
- Spaces designated for specific employees, and
- Fire lanes.
Authorizing signage is available in each parking lot. Per signage, the lots are designated from 7:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday. After 5:00pm and before 7:00am, the lots are open parking.
As good practice, OU students should check on their vehicles at least once a week. No vehicles, except maintenance vehicles, may enter the sidewalks or the grassy areas on campus. Each vehicle should occupy only one parking space.
Please also be reminded that when parking vehicles on campus, for safety and security of personal belongings, vehicles should always be locked. Ottawa University lots are unattended. The University is not responsible for damage to vehicles or theft of valuable items left in vehicles in University parking lots.
OU tows at the owner’s expense:
- Vehicles parked in restricted areas.
- All cars abandoned on campus; OU considers an abandoned vehicle to be any vehicle without current license plates or any vehicle that is clearly inoperable.
- Certain times of the year students will be asked to move their vehicles for special events. Students will be given 48-hours notice to vacate the parking lots.
- On the Monday following graduation all student vehicles must be removed from OU parking lot for students NOT attending summer school.